GOTRAX Hoverfly ECO Hoverboard Review
Gotrax is a Denver based company that focuses on creating hoverboards, electric ATVs and electric scooters. The company’s mission is to produce “electric rideables that boost imaginations and the possibilities for personal transportation.” This vision and mindset shows the company’s commitment to innovation, creativity and ingenuity as they attempt to create the best experience for all of their users.
Gotrax offers a number of great products. One such great product is the Gotrax Hoverfly Eco. Understandably for the price, the Gotrax Hoverfly Eco is not the most spec or technology heavy hoverboard in the market, or even the Gotrax family for that matter. However this does not make it an inferior product by any means. It is an affordable, lightweight and eco-friendly hoverboard that offers riders of all skill levels an easy to use product for their transportation needs.
- 1 Features and specifications Of The Hoverfly ECO
- 2 What’s good about the Hoverfly ECO?
- 3 What could be improved
- 4 Gotrax Hoverfly Eco vs other Gotrax models
- 5 Is The Gotrax Hoverfly Eco safe?
- 6 Final Verdict – Is It Worth The Investment?
Features and specifications Of The Hoverfly ECO
As stated above, the Hoverfly Eco is one of the more affordable options within the Gotrax family. With this in mind, the product does not come with a lot of the features present in some of the more advanced hoverboards in
the market. Features such as a dedicated mobile app and Bluetooth speakers are not found in this model (which would add significantly to the price), however it does still have more premium features such as LED lights and a learning and training mode.
Below are some of the key features and specifications:
- Motor Rated Power – Dual 250W
- Range per Charge – 9 to 12 miles
- Learning Mode – Yes
- Bluetooth® Speakers – No
- iOS & Android App – No
- Battery Voltage – 29.4V
- LED Movement Indicators – Yes
- Max. Speed – 7.4mph
- Max Incline – 15 degrees
- Max Weight – 220lbs
- Net Weight – 19.8lbs
- Tire Size – 6.5 inches
- Charge Time – 1.5 hours
As you can see, the specs are very much standard for a 6.5 inch hoverboard – its got a decent speed and range, is lightweight and easy to carry, and is as good as many higher priced hoverboards with similar specs and features.
What’s good about the Hoverfly ECO?
- Light and portable with a net weight of 19.8lbs.
- Wide range of usability with a maximum weight of 220lbs.
- Fresh and funky design with a wide range of colors including: Alien Green, Neptune Blue, Nebula Black, Mars Red, Pulsar Pink and others.
- Superb affordability, especially with the number of features the hoverboard has.
- Quick and easy training mode to help beginners master the basics of operating a hoverboard.
- Super-fast charge time of 1.5 hours.
- UL 2272 certified.
- Good maximum speed (7.4 mph) and maximum range (12 miles) for a product within its price range.
- 0 degree turning radius, non-slip foot pads and protective bumpers to ensure a smooth and safe travelling experience.
What could be improved
- Does not allow for users heavier than 220lbs – this is standard for 6.5 inch hoverboards though. For a hoverboard that carries a heavier weight you’d need to look at the more expensive range of off road boards currently on the market.
- It doesn’t have a mobile application or bluetooth support like some of the newer models. A hoverboard at this price point won’t have “bells and whistles” like this, but if you’re buying for a child or younger teenager (and Gotrax does tend to be aimed towards the younger generation) this probably won’t be an issue anyway.
Gotrax Hoverfly Eco vs other Gotrax models
Gotrax offers three hoverboard models, each with their own set of features and specifications. Below is a comparison of the Hoverfly Eco to the other models, namely: The Hoverfly XL, Hoverfly Plus and the Hoverfly Hoverboard.
Gotrax Hoverfly XL
The Hoverfly XL is the largest model within the Gotrax range of hoverboards weighing in a 27.8lbs, a whole 8lbs heavier than the Hoverfly Eco. With an extra 2 inches of tire size, at 8.5 inches, this super sturdy model is suitable for a wider range of terrains than the smaller Eco model.
In terms of power and performance, the XL has dual 350W motors compared to the dual 250W motors of the Eco. However, due to its larger frame and size, this does result in any added bonus to maximum speed (7.4 mph), maximum range (12 miles) or the maximum load weight (220lbs).
With regard to features, the XL offers mobile app support as well as Bluetooth speakers, allowing riders to listen to their favorite music while travelling.
The Hoverfly Eco does manage to offer a wider range of color options than the XL, with a total of 6 color options as opposed to 3.
Gotrax Hoverfly Plus
The Hoverfly Plus is the second most powerful model within the Gotrax family. The Hoverfly Plus offers a lot of similar specs to the XL model (dual 350W motors, 7.4 mph max speed and 12-mile range). However, unlike
the XL, the Hoverfly Plus has 6.5-inch tires similar to those of the Hoverfly Eco.
Unlike the Hoverfly Eco, the Hoverfly plus has full mobile app support as well as Bluetooth speakers, making it essentially a smaller version of the XL or a more feature rich version of the Eco.
Like the Eco the Plus offers a wide range of colors offering a total of 5 colors, only missing the Alien Green color.
The last hoverboard in the Gotrax range is the Hoverfly Hoverboard. This product is very similar to the Eco model both in terms performance and features. The Hoverfly model offers the same maximum speed (7.4 mph), maximum range (12 miles) and maximum load (220lbs) as all of the other models in the Gotrax range. The overboard is a lot heavier than the Eco, weighing in at 27.5lbs as opposed to 19.8lbs.
Features wise, the Hoverfly has the exact same list of main features as the Eco model and manages to have LED lights and the same training mode. In addition, the Hoverfly does not have a mobile app or Bluetooth speakers.
The Hoverfly offers the exact same number of colors as the Plus model at 5, also missing the Alien Green version that the Eco model offers.
Is The Gotrax Hoverfly Eco safe?
The Hoverfly Eco was designed with safety in mind. All electric, battery, and charging systems have been tested and awarded the UL 2722 certification by Underwriters Labs (UL) to ensure the safety standards for e-Mobility devices.
The Hoverfly Eco also has a number of built in safety features such as non-slip foot platforms, rubber bumpers, and system features including Auto Shutdown all for the added protection of the user.
Final Verdict – Is It Worth The Investment?
All in all, the Hoverfly Eco is a superb hoverboard product especially due to the fact that it sits on the lower end of the price range. The super affordable, light weight and high performance hoverboard is the perfect product for people looking for a general use hoverboard and are not too concerned about modern features such as Bluetooth speakers or mobile apps. Because of the light weight and easy to use nature of the product, it is very suitable for use by children or other inexperienced hoverboard riders .
However, for those heavier than 220lbs or for those who require additional features, then the Hoverfly Eco may not be for you, especially when a few extra dollars can get you the same performance but with extra features with the Hoverfly Plus.